Mon - Fri: 08:00 - 16:30

Office Hours

+27 (0) 51 4000 800


33 Kellner Street Bloemfontein


Visas & Work Permits

Business and Work Permits for Foreign Nationals

A person who comes to South Africa for a holiday may not apply for a work permit or a permit for self-employment in South Africa. He or she would have to return to their country of origin and apply for these permits at the South African Consulate.

Work Permits

In considering whether or not to grant a work permit the Department of Home Affairs will evaluate the validity of the offer of employment by checking whether the Department of Labour has been contacted, whether the position has been widely advertised, and whether the prospective employer is able to prove that he or she tried to find a suitably qualified local employee and that the prospective employee is appropriately qualified and has the relevant experience.

Business Permits

Foreign nationals who wish to establish their own business or a partnership in South Africa must, apart from having sufficient funds to support themselves and their family, be able to invest at least R2,5 million in the business. The funds must originate overseas, be transferable to South Africa and belong to the applicant (i.e. emanate from the applicant’s own bank account). The business must also create jobs for at least five South African citizens or permanent residents.

 For further information please contact the Department of Home Affairs in Pretoria on +27 (0) 12 314 8911 or log onto their web site


Free State Development Corporation
Growing the Free State
The Free State Development Corporation (FDC) is the official economic development agency for the Free State. The agency focuses on four key actvities in order to achieve growth and development, services to SMME's, export related assistance and property management.


If you are aware of any unethical behaviour
phone the FRAUD HOTLINE today! 0800 21 21 54
© Copyright 2019 Free State Development Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Webmaster Sarafina Chill