Free State Development Corporation

A person who comes to South Africa for a holiday may not apply for a work permit or a permit for self-employment in South Africa. He or she would have to return to their country of origin and apply for these permits at the South African Consulate.

Work Permits

In considering whether or not to grant a work permit the Department of Home Affairs will evaluate the validity of the offer of employment by checking whether the Department of Labour has been contacted, whether the position has been widely advertised, and whether the prospective employer is able to prove that he or she tried to find a suitably qualified local employee and that the prospective employee is appropriately qualified and has the relevant experience.

Business Permits

Foreign nationals who wish to establish their own business or a partnership in South Africa must, apart from having sufficient funds to support themselves and their family, be able to invest at least R2,5 million in the business. The funds must originate overseas, be transferable to South Africa and belong to the applicant (i.e. emanate from the applicant’s own bank account). The business must also create jobs for at least five South African citizens or permanent residents.

 For further information please contact the Department of Home Affairs in Pretoria on +27 (0) 12 314 8911 or log onto their web site

FDC Head Office

33 Kellner Street

Tel: 051 4000 800
Email: \

Connect With Us On:



Fast Facts

  • Capital: Bloemfontein
  • Languages: 64.4% Sesotho
    Languages: 11.9% Afrikaans, 9.1% isiXhosa
  • Population density: 23 people per km²
  • Area 129, 480 km²
  • Share of total SA area 10.6%

read more ...